Utility Fraud Alert
Some of our customers have received fraudulent phone calls and emails purporting to be from Montana-Dakota Utilities or other energy companies. These emails and calls claim to be regarding a bill or a past due balance. The fraudulent email generally contains an account number, an amount due (or past due), a due date and a link to log in to view the account. Be assured that we have not had a security breach and the information in the email is not legitimate.
The phone calls generally state that your account is past due and that unless you pay the bill immediately over the phone, your utility service will be disconnected. Please be wary of these emails and phone calls! If in doubt, please take the following safety measures:
- If you receive one of these phone calls, hang up and notify us
- Do not respond to the email
- Do not open any email attachments
- Do not click on any links
- Do not provide any personal information in the email or over the phone
Please be aware this is not a legitimate request and Montana-Dakota Utilities does not follow this practice. If you do receive one of these phone calls or emails, please contact us immediately at 800-638-3278.
You can take the following actions if you are in doubt about the legitimacy of the contact:
- Log in to your account directly at our website instead of clicking on any links within an email
- Call us at 800-638-3278 to access our electronic account service to verify your account balance. This service is available 24/7–be sure to have your account number handy.
- Speak to a customer service agent. We are available Monday-Friday from 7:30 A.M. – 6:30 P.M. (excluding holidays) at 800-638-3278.
Representatives of Montana-Dakota Utilities will be able to verify your utility account number and will never insist that you use a prepaid debit card to make your payment. We send reminders and notices prior to disconnections and only send disconnection notices by U.S. mail. Company personnel in the field can be recognized by their uniforms and identification when coming to your home for various reasons or to carry out a disconnection for nonpayment.