Montana-Dakota Home » In the Community » FAQs


Frequently Asked Questions


We have found that most customers who report they have not received their MFA code in their email when attempting to login to their account are using either Hotmail or Outlook as their email client. Hotmail and Outlook have a “Focused Inbox” feature that is enabled by default and presorts emails. This presort feature will often put the MFA code emails in the users junk folder. You can resolve this by classifying the MFA emails as “Not Junk” or by disabling the “Focused Inbox” feature. You can disable “Focused Inbox” by clicking “View” in the top menu and then clicking “Show Focused Inbox.”

We are working with our email administrators to remedy this issue so presort does not classify MFA emails as Junk. Until we have this resolved, please use the method above.

Can you disconnect my service in winter for delinquent bills?

We consider disconnection a last resort when a customer’s bill has gone unpaid. However if your bill remains unpaid and no payment arrangements have been made, we may disconnect your service during the heating season unless a residence is occupied by one of the following:

  • A pre-school aged child.
  • Someone 62 years of age or older.
  • An ill or disabled person.
  • Customers who are in the process of making application for government energy assistance or have made payment arrangements with us.

In addition, Montana-Dakota will not disconnect service when adverse weather conditions exist. Please keep in mind, if you are having difficulty paying your bill, call us right away so we can work with you and avoid service disconnection.

How do I establish service if I move to a different address?

You may request a change in service address online by visiting the Start/Stop/Transfer Service section. You can also contact our Customer Service Center at 800-638-3278.

Do new customers have to pay a deposit? Will I get it back?

New customers with a satisfactory credit rating will not be required to pay a deposit. Also a deposit will not be required if any of the following conditions apply:

  • You are a previous Montana-Dakota customer with a satisfactory credit history.
  • Someone provides a written guarantee to pay your bill if you do not pay it.

Montana-Dakota will refund your deposit plus interest after it has been held for 12 months providing you have maintained a satisfactory payment history during that period. The amount of your deposit depends on regulatory commission rules that might vary from state to state.

If I move my manufactured home, what are my responsibilities with MDU?

Electric service to most manufactured homes can be disconnected by an electrician; some older manufactured homes have a plug-in service connection and can be disconnected by the owner. Montana-Dakota will disconnect natural gas service to manufactured homes. Please call us at least three working days prior to the moving date for natural gas disconnection.

What does it cost to convert to underground electric service?

The cost of converting to underground service depends on a number of variables. Please contact us for more information on your individual needs and costs.

Who does the trenching work for underground service?

Montana-Dakota construction crews or our contractors perform our trenching work. In some cases customers arrange for the trenching work if they wish to own the service line and not be charged the underground electric service fee.

Are there any costs to the customer to get hooked up to natural gas?

It depends on the individual situation. For example, if natural gas distribution facilities are close by and the meter hook-up and related piping are all that are required, there is no charge. If, however, natural gas facilities are not immediately available, you may be required to pay hook-up fees. The amount of the fee would depend primarily on the distance from our main line to the customer’s premises.

Is Natural Gas Cooking Safe?

Several organizations and media outlets have recently raised questions about the impacts of residential natural gas cooking on indoor air quality (IAQ). While some of the studies cited have agreed more research is needed before conclusions can be drawn, some experts have raised concerns with the design of these studies. Nonetheless, IAQ claims are being used to drive policy discussions on natural gas. Click here to get the facts.

Why do you charge a reconnect fee?

Reconnection fees are charged to pay for a portion of our service worker’s time associated with the reconnection. We feel the cost should be paid by the customer who caused the cost and not charged to all of our customers through our energy prices.

Will MDU run an electric line to a new home or does the customer have to arrange for it?

Customers should contact their local MDU representative to arrange for service to a new building. In most cases, there is no charge for this service.

Can I change the “due date” on my bill?

No, your “Due Date” is based on a certain number of days from which a bill is generated which is determined by when your meter is read.

Will you take a post-dated check?

No. Post-dated checks are not considered legal tender.

Do you ever publish your rates?

Yes, at least once a year we include a bill insert that explains our various rates and how to use them in determining your bill. Also, our current rate schedules are always available for your information at our offices, or you may view Montana-Dakota’s rates and tariffs online.

How does your direct bank payment program work?

Our “AutoPay” Plan is available to residential customers whose account is current. After you have signed up for “AutoPay,” your monthly Montana-Dakota bill will be deducted from your bank account each month on your bill’s due date. Just as in the past, you will receive your normal monthly bill statement so you know how much has been deducted. For more information see the Payment Options section. To enroll login to your account online and select the “Sign up for AutoPay” button in the promo box on the right side.

Do you have special rates for senior citizens?

No, we do not have special rates for senior citizens because the difference would have to be made up by our non-senior customers. However, if you are having difficulty paying your bill, please call us at 800-638-3278 so we can work out a payment arrangement with you.

How many days do I have to pay my bill and what are the late fees?

You have 22 days from the date the bill was rendered to pay your bill without being assessed a late fee. Late fees are 1 percent per month on the unpaid balance.

Why can’t MDU bill all my accounts on one bill so I can just write one check?

Unfortunately, our current billing system cannot handle multiple accounts for a single customer. However, we are working on a new system that can handle multiple accounts billed within a five-day period.

Why do I have to pay a balance when I leave Balanced Billing?

In order to keep your account current, we require you to pay any balance due resulting from Balanced Billing when you leave the program. Likewise, if you have a credit balance, we will refund it to you upon your request.

What is therm billing?

Therm billing is a method of more fairly charging you for the natural gas you purchase from us by billing you for the energy content of natural gas. Being a gas, natural gas expands in volume depending on the elevation of your residence or business. Also, our gas comes from many different fields and therefore can vary in its energy content. By recognizing these two variables and converting them to British thermal unit content of the gas you receive, you pay for usable energy not volume.

How can I buy MDU Resources Group, Inc. stock directly from the company?

For more information about investing in MDU Resources Group, Inc. stock please visit the MDU Shareholder Services site.

How do I get on LIHEAP?

Low Income Heating Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is a federal fuel assistance program that is administered by each state. Check out our low income assistance program page for more information.