Montana-Dakota Home » Customer Service » Property Owners and Landlords


Continuous Service Agreement

Montana-Dakota Utilities’ Continuous Service Agreement (CSA) program provides property owners and property management companies the ability to maintain constant, year-round utility service to a property without the worry of interruption if a tenant moves out.  The purpose of the program is to provide continuous service to property owners, however, it is not intended as a property management tool. The program does offer several advantages:

  • Allows MDU to place service into your name, without interruption, if we are advised the property is being vacated.  The agreement also allows the option to transfer service into your name in the event the tenant account is discontinued for nonpayment.
  • Automatic transferring of service.  This avoids the electric and/or natural gas service(s) being shut off, thus eliminating the possibility of damage to your property, such as freeze-up during the winter months.

Property Portal

Now you can view details and request changes to your Continuous Service Agreement online. Enroll today and start to manage your CSA through the Property Portal website. The following online tasks are available through the portal:

  • Add or remove properties on your Continuous Service Agreement
  • Check the service status of existing properties
  • Determine if service at an address is in your name or a tenant’s name


To activate a CSA with ​MDU, visit our Property Portal to quickly complete the process online.



MDU property portal


Continuous Service Agreement Details

For more information, or to activate a CSA by mail, fax or email, review the CSA documentation available at the following links and process according to the instructions provided.  Select the link for your respective state’s Continuous Service Agreement (CSA) documentation. The state is dependent upon the location of the premise being managed:

Montana CSA & Exhibit A
North Dakota CSA & Exhibit A
South Dakota CSA & Exhibit A
Wyoming CSA & Exhibit A
Exhibit B: CSA Authorization

Tips for ​filling out the Agreement

Incomplete or incorrectly-filled-out forms cause delays in processing your Continuous Service Agreement (CSA) and leave your properties unprotected.  Before sending us a completed CSA, be sure to do the following:

  1. Check a box in Section 4 titled DISCONNECTION.
    Select One
  2. Ensure that the ​MDU Account Holder Name and Signature have been filled in on each page
    1. The ​MDU Account Holder Name should be identical on each page (name and spelling).
    2. The ​MDU Account Holder Name is the name that should appear on the bill when the service reverts.
    3. The Signature should be identical on each page (Signature name can be different from the MDU Account Holder Name if it is for a business).
  3. The document “Exhibit B: CSA Authorization” above is an optional part of the CSA. It is for the owner of a property(ies) to designate a third-party company, or individual, who is authorized to make transactional changes to the CSA. If there is no property manager, or other authorized third party, it is not necessary to complete Exhibit B.

Is there a fee for this service?

The Continuous Service Agreement (CSA) program is a free service. There is no cost for the landlord or the tenant.

How long will it take for my Continuous Service Agreement (CSA) to be processed?

We strive to process these requests as quickly as possible.  If you provide us with an email address on the form, we will notify you by email when processing is complete.  Until the CSA is in effect, we encourage you to remain in contact with your tenant regarding occupancy of the property(ies) in question as it is possible that service can be interrupted.

What is the duration of the Continuous Service Agreement (CSA) — will I have to fill out a new CSA periodically?

The terms of the CSA stipulate that it will “continue in effect until cancelled by either party upon five (5) days prior written notice.”  There is no renewal required.

How do I add or remove properties or make other changes to the Continuous Service Agreement (CSA) — including cancellations?

Changes to the CSA must be made in writing or online. The following methods may be used to request a change:

Montana-Dakota Utilities Co
Attn: Customer Support
PO Box 7608
Boise, ID 83707-1608

If I elect to allow the service to revert to my name in the event that service for a tenant is discontinued for non-payment (CSA, Section 4), am I responsible for paying my tenant’s past bill?

No.  You are only responsible for charges when service is in your name.